AI-Driven Drug Discovery Scientist (Psychedelics)
|Date Posted:||Jun 03, 2021|
|Focus / Industry:|
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
MagicMed is a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and commercial development of novel pharmaceuticals based on known psychedelic compounds. MagicMed’s expanding collection of psychedelic derivatives (the Psybrary™) is expected to yield the next generation of precision medicines for brain and mental health.
About The Opportunity
There is a revolution happening in mental health treating addictions and alleviating pain. Would you like to join an innovative and growing company whose goal is to make a positive impact on human health? Are you interested in participating in artificial intelligence and machine learning applications for cutting edge R&D?
MagicMed is seeking a full-time scientist to apply machine learning techniques to the problems of drug screening and discovery. You’ll be working with our Research & Development team as they evaluate new compounds, and with our technical partners who will provide direction on the AI elements of the screening pipeline. This is an opportunity to be involved in every aspect of our computational pipeline, to contribute your ideas, and have an impact in the development of novel psychedelic compounds.
Ideally this position will be based at our office in Calgary, Alberta; however, alternative options may be considered for the right candidate.
About The Candidate
Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic and has experience in the application of state-of-the-art cheminformatics and AI (machine learning, deep learning) tools to drug discovery projects. The candidate can work independently and is comfortable writing software, using libraries, and scripting data flows.
- Filter chemical databases by using virtual-screening approaches
- Apply existing models and techniques to assess drug candidates
- Collaborate effectively with the experimentalist team to improve biological properties (pharmacodynamics/pharmacokinetics) of drug candidates based on feedback from assay results
- Investigate, adapt, and train new models to improve the pipeline
- Provide regular reports and progress updates as required
· BSc in relevant field (Computation Chemistry, Computational Drug Discovery, Computer Science or related computational field)
· Master Degree or PhD preferred
· Experience with computational chemistry tool sets such as Schrödinger, ACD/Labs, MOE, or similar.
· Previous experience with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning or Deep Learning frameworks (such as TensorFlow, PyTorch)
· An understanding of the fundamentals of drug discovery, from docking to ADMET.
· Strong analytical, trouble shooting and problem-solving skills, with the ability to exercise independent judgment
· Able to work collaboratively in cross functional multidisciplinary teams
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong organization, prioritization and time management skills, with high attention to detail
· Motivated and self-directed with a demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
· Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite
The successful candidate will have a strong interest and willingness to learn about psychedelics and the application of AI to drug discovery.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter (detailing AI/machine learning experience and interest).
We thank all applicants for their interest in MagicMed Industries; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.