Scientist, Senior Analytical Chemist (Psychedelics)
|Date Posted:||Jun 24, 2021|
|Focus / Industry:|
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
MagicMed is a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and commercial development of novel pharmaceuticals based on known psychedelic compounds. MagicMed’s expanding collection of psychedelic derivatives (the Psybrary™) is expected to yield the next generation of precision medicines for brain and mental health.
About The Opportunity
There is a revolution happening in mental health, treating indications such as depression and PTSD. Would you like to join an innovative and growing company whose goal is to make a positive impact on human health?
MagicMed is seeking a full-time analytical chemist to join our team. The ideal candidate will contribute to the research and development team by leading the analytical chemistry activities. This is an opportunity to contribute your ideas, and have an impact in the development of novel psychedelic compounds.
This position is based at our office in Calgary, Alberta.
About The Candidate
Our ideal candidate is an enthusiastic chemist with a strong background in analytical chemistry, mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, NMR, and the corresponding instrumentation.
- Responsible for leading the analytical aspects of projects in the development pipeline
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary team to develop analytical methods, testing procedures and control strategies for the purpose of advancing drug candidates
- Generate original technical ideas and research and development strategies
- Apply, obtain and independently analyze data for a range of analytical techniques such as HPLC, LC-MS and NMR to small molecule drug candidates, intermediates, starting materials and impurities.
- Troubleshoot and correct instrumental and methodological problems
- Highly productive and autonomous in performing laboratory research and method development, requiring only minimal direction or interaction with supervisor
- Maintain complete and accurate record of all observations, measurements, techniques, procedures, and conclusions to facilitate project decisions
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or related field
- Minimum 10+ (BS), 7+ (MS) or 5+ (PhD) years’ relevant industry experience in analytical chemistry
- Knowledge and experience with state-of-the-art analytical chemistry techniques
- Experience operating chromatography and mass spectrometry instruments
- Experience in sample preparation and quantitative analysis
- Experience maintaining and repairing HPLC and LC-MS instruments
- Experience with analytical software such as Mass Hunter and Excalibur
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, trouble shooting and problem-solving skills, with the ability to exercise independent judgment
- Able to work collaboratively in cross functional multidisciplinary teams
- Strong organization, prioritization and time management skills, with high attention to detail
- Motivated and self-directed with a demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite
The successful candidate will have a strong interest and willingness to learn about psychedelics.
We thank all applicants for their interest in MagicMed Industries; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.